It is a tough decision to choose between an electric smoker and charcoal smoker for smoked food lovers. It depends on personal preference and choice. If one considers what he desires from the points below, he/she would be easily able to decide.
Electric Smoker over Charcoal Smoker:
There are many benefits that an electric smoker enjoys over a charcoal smoker. Some of them are:
- Ease of Use – Electric smokers are mostly “set it and forget it” providing more ease of use. There is no need to supervise for long hours to check if your meal is ready
- Controls – These smokers allow the most controls to their user. There are regulators such as temperature, timer and smoke to make your meal the way you like.
- Insulated Smokers – A big disadvantage at the start was that electric smokers couldn’t maintain their ground in severely cold weather. Now, utilizing state of the art technology, they come with an insulated body that prevents loss of heat. Even if its windy, it is no problem for the electric smoker.
- Same Great Taste – Although people are divided on this opinion, some of them claim that the same great taste can be achieved using an electric smoker instead of a charcoal smoker. They say that neutralizing this factor while providing their unbeatable ease of use, electric smokers are the way to go. Still, this is generally a matter of personal preference.
- Saves from Monitoring – An electric smoker saves a person from having to tend to the fire all day long. Once the dish is set and the timer is running, your only worry remains to keep the smoker filled with wood. It is much more convenient.
Charcoal Smoker over Electric Smoker:
These are the advantages of a charcoal smoker over an electric smoker:
- Taste – Some people claim that the taste achieved by charcoal is just unparalleled. The same feel can’t be achieved from an electric smoker. They prefer the natural smoke from burning charcoal.
- Better in winters – Not an issue for the flagship grade electric smokers but for the entry level ones, it is hard to keep warm in severe weather conditions. It is easier for a fire to continue burning using a charcoal smoker.
- No Need of Power Outlet – The best thing about charcoal smoker is that it can be taken anywhere without any worry of power shortage or absence of power outlets. It can be used no matter what; the only thing that matters is the charcoal.
- Easy to Obtain Fuel – The fuel used for charcoal smokers is easily available in the market. An electric smoker is just as tedious to deal with as a charcoal smoker if it is one of the cheaper electric smokers, so it completely defeats the purpose of having a “set it and forget it” machine. Such a machine requires as much tweaking and tending as a charcoal smoker.
You can choose whatever suits you according to what you have in your hand and what you need next. According our opinion and on the basis of ease of use you can prefer to have one of the best electric smokers for an easy food smoking experience.